TDVision developed the TDVCodec, an MPEG2 and MPEG4 compliant software codec algorithm that enables a high definition video stream of true 3D images over legacy infrastructures such as DVDs, satellite, HDTV, cable, computer graphics cards, IPTV, etc.
To demonstrate their technology, TDVision contacted DiMonte Group to design a lightweight 3D camera.
- An ergonomic test rig was developed to allow adjustment of the spacing, tilt angle, convergence angle, and distance of the viewscreens relative to the viewers eyes
- Ergonomic studies were conducted to collect the preferences and requirements for viewscreen orientation to achieve the 3D effect over a broad spectrum of individuals
- Analysis of the data (along with additional tests to confirm theories) provided a viewscreen orientation that worked across the population, limiting the amount of adjustment required of the visor
- Concepts and mockups were created to explore ways for the user to wear the visor
- Mechanical mockups were engineered and prototyped in our shop to prove out the system
- Industrial design styling exercises were performed after the establishment of a firm ergonomic and mechanical foundation
Pre-Production Prototype Design Engineering
- SolidWorks CAD models were made of all components
- DiMonte Group expedited the production, assembly, and testing of prototype units
- Ten prototypes were introduced to the public at the CES show in January of 2007
All tasks were completed in a 1 year period.
DiMonte Group Inc. continues to assist TDVision with production engineering support and future product development.