In 2020 the COVID-19 pandemic created the need for innovations in how to neutralize airborne pathogens. DiMonte Group worked with Marmon to develop CerroZone; a product designed to sanitize air in larger interior spaces like classrooms and waiting rooms. This product destroys airborne pathogens by pulling air into a chamber swirling with continuously generated ozone gas. The air then blows through a catalyst which scrubs the ozone, emitting clean, sterilized air.
DiMonte Group’s industrial designers quickly created sketch proposals that aligned with our client’s size requirements and design goals. We aimed for a mostly sheet metal design to expedite the prototyping process and avoid lengthy plastic molding lead times. The final design features recessed LED lights in the bezel and behind the logo that mimic the UV light inside the machine and indicate the machine’s status. The air intake grill’s hole pattern resembles ozone’s molecular structure (O3).
Engineering and In-House Testing
The high concentration of ozone inside the machine introduced challenges as many types of metal, plastic, wires and paint are highly reactive with the chemical. DiMonte Group engineers solved this issue by validating each component separately in ozone testing chambers.
- Complete industrial design styling
- Ground up mechanical design
- Material selection and testing for extreme harsh ozone + UV environment
- Electronic hardware and software, IoT cloud connectivity
Safety and Agency Testing
- Intertek Safety
- Intertek “Zero Ozone” certification
- EPA, OSHA, CARB ozone standards
- FDA 510(k) Class II medical device
- Field trials
Design for Manufacturing and Assembly
- Complete 3D and 2D drawing package
- BOMs and detailed work instructions
- Modular assembly design
- Tamper proof design while maintaining serviceability
Prototype and Preproduction Builds
- Preliminary foam core prototypes to test size, mobility and ergonomic factors
- We built 20+ fully functional units here in our shop
- 10-unit prototype build for development, Intertek testing, and trade shows
- 10-unit preproduction build – SOLD to first CerroZone customer!
99%+ reduction of SARS-CoV-2 in a single-pass (1.2 seconds).
99.99%+ reduction of SARS-CoV-2 after 30 minutes.
For more information visit: CERROZONE.COM