The Stamina Avari Gx is an elliptical trainer designed for communal use in gyms. Stamina Fitness hired another firm to partially develop the front-end styling of the machine, then their design was handed off to us to design the product for mass production.
When designing this product, we needed to consider:
- Motion of the pedals and handles based on human biomechanics
- Design for 24-hour gym usage by users that weigh up to 300 pounds
- Housings that shield internal components from sweat, water spills, and cleaning solutions
- Maintain the styling and aesthetic while incorporating new mechanical parts
- Assembly sequence of parts
- Provide access for service
We used our experience in several manufacturing disciplines to develop and deliver tool ready geometry and we conducted finite element analysis (FEA) to ensure that our geometry could withstand rigorous gym conditions.